Below are links of burger interest that have found me along my burger journey. no affiliation with any of these… should you come across intriguing burger factoids, share them and I’ll add them to the list!!
A Few Fast Food Facts From Fast Food Nation
- This year Americans will spend over $110 billion on fast food more than they’ll spend on movies, books, magazines, newspapers, videos, and recorded music combined.
- Every day about one quarter of the U.S. population eats fast food.
- Roughly 12% of all American workers have worked at McDonald’s.
- The golden arches are now more widely recognized than the Christian cross.
- Children often recognize the McDonald’s logo before they recognize their own name.
- American children now get about one quarter of their total vegetable servings in the form of potato chips and French fries.
- The typical teenage boy in the United States now gets about 10% of his daily calories from soda.
- The rate of obesity among American children has doubled since the late 1970s.
- A fast food soda that sells for $1.29 costs the restaurant about ten cents, a markup of more than 1200 percent.
- McDonald’s is now the nation’s largest purchaser of beef, pork, and potatoes. It is the second-largest purchaser of chicken in the U.S.
- Hundreds of local slaughterhouses used to supply the United States with beef; today thirteen large slaughterhouses supply most of the nation’s beef.
- A typical fast food hamburger contains meat from dozens or even hundreds of cattle.
- Because fast food is so highly processed, much of its flavor is destroyed, so the tastes of most fast food are manufactured at a series of special chemical plants in New Jersey.
- Chicken McNuggets contain beef additives, while McDonalds French fries derive some of their flavor from “animal products.”